History of the Inn
546 Main Street, located in the national historic district of Rockland, Maine, began in 1840 as a Federal Colonial house built of gray granite quarried nearby in St. George. Local craftsmen fashioned the beautiful structure that still stands today. The house was both the residence and office for at least two physicians and their families.
In 1906, the Elks Club purchased the building for their clubhouse, adding the large wooden wing to the rear. The building was heavily damaged by fire in the 1940’s. The terrazzo floors date from the building's restoration.
In 1984, Stephanie and John Clapp, through renovation and restoration, converted the property into the lovely, comfortable Old Granite Inn. Stephanie, a professional baker, ran a bakery out of the small wing to the south.
In 1997, Ragan and John Cary of St. George, owned and ran the Old Granite Inn, continuing the tradition of a fine Bed & Breakfast.
In 2006, Joan and Edwin Hantz of Rochester, NY, took over from the Caries. Joan, a graphic designer, and Edwin, a copy writer/editor and avid cook/gardener, along with their daughter, Giuliana, and English Springer, Zack, called the Granite Inn their home. Since then, Giuliana has grown up and moved on and Zack, sadly, died in June of 2011.
"We thank Stephanie for the great professional range in the kitchen, the Caries for their meticulous attention to guest comfort, and to all the previous owners for their loving care of the building and surrounding flower garden." Ed Hantz, innkeeper
Today, the Inn is furnished with an artful counterpoint of genuine antiques and modern pieces. Starting with the extensively renovated dining room and kitchen, the innkeepers strive for elegant simplicity combined with comfort.
New to the Inn in 2007, the front porch extends the entire width of the building. Whether a sunny perch from which to greet the day or a place for relaxing tea and conversation in the late afternoon, the porch is the first sign, as one approaches the Inn, of the welcoming atmosphere within.
Beyond the threshold, the public rooms include the Living Room with its fireplace, extensive woodwork, terrazzo floors, comfortable furniture, and lush plants. The bright and airy dining room, accommodating up to 30 people for special occasions, offers a display area for local art and photography. There is also a lounge area with large television and DVD player and the popular book swap.
For travelers who can't be without their email, wireless internet access is available throughout the Inn. Guests are also welcomed to request use of the office fax machine.
There are eight guest rooms with either king, queen, or pairs of twin sized beds and the highest-quality bedding. Two rooms on the 2nd floor have a view of Rockland Harbor with its spectacular sunrises. Rooms 1-2 and 8-9 constitute suites. With a king bed in one room and two twins in the other, the 1-2 suite can accommodate up to a family of four. The 8-9 suite has a king bed, sitting room with fire place, and whirlpool bath. Cable TV is available in all the rooms. All of the rooms have richly appointed private baths. In-season rates range from $150 to $215.
In 2008, the Inn received Environmental Leader certification from the State of Maine. This is in recognition of the Inn's commitment to minimizing its environmental impact through reduced water usage, conserving energy, recycling and reusing materials, and using environment-friendly detergents and cleaning products. These efforts are being made without compromising the Inn's highest-quality accommodations.